skip to Main Content
Why I Started DeltPRO

Why I started deltPRO

By Kara Rios, deltPRO founder

For years, I thought I was uniquely terrible at hiring.

My attempts usually went like this: A recruiter would give me a handful of resumes for qualified candidates and then I’d invite those I thought looked best in for an interview. During the interview, I’d ask about previous work experiences and pertinent skills. Maybe touch on some anecdotes of success. You know, the stuff that’s on the resume. Then I’d shift to a few more subjective questions to try to get to know the person a little better.

Generally, once I found the person with the right resume and a personality that I thought would suit the team, I’d extend an offer. Bingo!

But far too often, I later realized that I’d hired the wrong person for the job. I had put a square peg in a round hole. For years I blamed it on a challenging corporate culture, but eventually I had to face the facts: I wasn’t good enough at interviewing and hiring. Sure, I hired plenty of great people over the years, but my failure rate was too high.

My success rate would make a good batting average, but it was terrible for corporate productivity, recruiting costs and team morale. Not to mention the tough conversations with the employee who wasn’t working out. That’s not fun for anybody. I was hiring skilled and likable people but not enough of them were the right fit.

It turns out I’m not alone.

95% of companies say they make hiring mistakes every year. 95%! It’s like mis-hiring is an epidemic. In researching this topic further, I found that just 11% of mis-hires are due to a skills gap. The other 89% is all about fit. Or, to put it another way; if you want to reduce mis-hires, nothing is more important than fit.

Most resumes, automated resume readers, screening processes and interviews are focused on candidate skills and experience. The statistics suggest most of us have that part of screening down. But too many qualified people fail in jobs because too many of us are poor at judging fit. We keep putting square pegs in round holes.

95 of Companies Say they Make hiring mistakes every year.-1

The time I got it right literally changed my career.

One day, in a panic, I called a recruiter looking for a senior person to lead an important project on short notice. This time, I unintentionally approached hiring completely differently. As I was briefing the recruiter, I found myself describing HOW the ideal candidate would work rather than focusing on their hard skills. Of course, the recruiter would send qualified candidates. They always had.

I emphasized that I needed a person who was a natural leader, comfortable with ambiguity and could collaborate effortlessly across departments. I later realized that I was describing fit or what we at deltPRO® now call Work Style™. It’s how someone is most comfortable working. Their preferred on-the-job behaviors and talents.

Jumping ahead to the end of the story; the new person thrived in the job. He was exactly the right person in the right job.

With this new focus on Work Style fit, I’d found a great candidate.

It wasn’t much later that I quit my job as CFO to start deltPRO, which would focus on helping people improve hiring success. Hiring the right person literally changed my career.

Hiring for Work Style

Organizations are under pressure to recruit and retain the best people.

60% of people say the most important factor in taking a job is whether or not the role allows them to “do what they do best.”

The conventional hiring process is terribly unreliable because it overemphasizes skills and experience and is poor at judging fit.

The deltPRO Work Style Assessment was created to help organizations get fit right. The assessment is used at the start of the candidate screening process so that every resume reviewed, every person interviewed and every hire is someone who’s likely to be a great fit and thrive in the organization. No more square pegs in round holes.

Most of us have experienced the pain of hiring the wrong person. It’s hard on productivity, morale and the bottom line. Often, it’s just a bad fit between the employee and the manager, position or team.

Why does all of this matter? When the right people are in the right jobs, they’re more productive, they stay longer and they’re happier. And, at deltPRO, we believe that when you’re happier at work you’re happier in life.

About the Author:

Kara Rios founded deltPRO to help organizations identify and place the right people in their open positions using a combination of psychology and technology (along with a large dose of common sense). In doing so, we help people be happier at work and happier in life.